Earth observation (EO) is used to monitor and assess the status of, and changes in the natural and manmade environment. EO data is essential in enhancing our knowledge and understanding on Earth processes and changes over time, as well as for assisting and supporting environmental monitoring and decision making. The Earth has been constantly observed by satellites since 1972, providing regular and multispectral observations of the planet. Nowadays, researchers are able to reach a variety of remote sensing information in the form of images acquired by various and diverse satellites and sensors in different temporal, spatial and spectral resolutions.
One of the leading providers of EO data is the Copernicus Programme. Copernicus is the European Union's Earth observation programme, looking at our planet and its environment. The European Commission manages the Programme.
Using the EU data and services provided by the Copernicus programme, PONTOS project aims to enhance transboundary cooperation for large-scale, harmonized environmental monitoring across the countries of the Black Sea region and beyond. PONTOS’s overall objective is to make information and knowledge available to scientists, policymakers, citizens, and other relevant stakeholders and provide a full picture of the state and temporal evolution of the Black Sea region environment. This is achieved by exploiting information technologies to automatically retrieve Copernicus products, couple them with national or regional infrastructures for data acquisition and processing, and provide monitoring services for the Black Sea and the surrounding environment.
To this end, PONTOS operational platform and mounted online services including 1)PONTOS Data Cube, 2)PONTOS Web Application, and 3)PONTOS WebGIS have been developed by the project team which are freely available and accessible for local, national, and regional stakeholders.
PONTOS Data Cube (easy production of maps from satellite data) was implemented in the direction of enabling end-users with the ability of easy exploration, analysis, management and visualization of satellite EO data for each pilot site of this project. It aims to strengthen the value and impact of EO satellite data in the Black Sea Basin and each pilot area of the PONTOS project.
PONTOS Web Application (airborne and in-situ data management support) was created to be integrated in the PONTOS platform in order to manage and analyze airborne and in-situ data that has been developed within the project. The web application is complementary to PONTOS Data Cube and PONTOS WebGIS. The Web Application Services are available in English, Armenian, Greek, Georgian, and Ukrainian language.
The challenge consists of two parts:
- Generate new ideas using PONTOS operational platform and mounted online services/tools
- Suggestion to create useful application (or stand-alone solution/tool) for the PONTOS Platform using the Copernicus data
Possible topics of interests related both parts of challenges:
- Sustainable Development Goals
- Land changes (it can include different classes of land cover/ land use such as forest, crops, grassland, water surfaces and artificial covers like roads and buildings);
- Water health and pollution;
- Agricultural practices (such as estimate crop size, to provide soil moisture information and to forecast yield);
- Climate change
- Your suggested topic
- Learn how to deal with EO data, PONTOS platform, Copernicus data and services
- Generate new ideas that have an impact for our society
- Engage with other people interested in topics such as climate change, geography, big data, open data, etc.
- Win prizes
- Individuals or groups that will form teams of 3-5 people
- Age limit: >18
- In case of minors, there should be an adult mentor or guardian accompanying
- Participate in the PONTOS Conference on October 12, 2022
- The suggested ides will be presented on October 13, 2022 (the jury will have a look at every submission)
- A complete submissions include the following information presented in the provided template:
Part 1: Generate new ideas using PONTOS operational platform and mounted online services/tools
- Background and Introduction
- Objective & Main Idea
- Results and conclusion
Part 2: Suggestion to create useful application (or stand-alone solution/tool) for the PONTOS Platform using the Copernicus data
- Background and Introduction
- Objective Main Idea
- Results and conclusion
A gift package for all participants.
For winning team there will be an opportunity to attend a professional development course from the American University of Armenia and professional mentorship opportunity from PONTOS team until end of November 2022.
- Bring your own laptop and other devices you want to work on, as well as any necessary cables, chargers and other accessories.
- Power sockets and wifi will be available. Food and drinks will be served.
- Creativity: Each submission will be rated based on the extent to which it exhibits a breakthrough concept and/or methodology. This may be through a new concept, methodology, or means of implementation.
- Impact: Each submission will be rated based on its proposed positive impact on the society and its economic viability.
- Completeness: How close is the submission to being a complete and functional product?
- User Experience: Is the demonstrated part polished, visually appealing, easy and enjoyable to use?