Within the framework of the EU-funded “Copernicus Assisted Environmental Monitoring Across the Black Sea Basin – PONTOS” project, the Training of Trainers(ToT) was held in Greece on March 10, 2022, the first offline training of the team (after the Covid outbreak intervened the normal processes).
Overall, twenty participants, including project research staff, from PONTOS project partner institutions, participated in the training organized by the Center for Research and Technology Hellas (CERTH) and Democritus University of Thrace (DUTH).
The training was composed of two parts: introduction to the PONTOS Platform and Presentations on the pilot areas’ assessments.
During the first part of the training, the Greek team conducted training on the PONTOS platform for the project researchers of partner institutions. The PONTOS platform integrates the following services: PONTOS Data Cube, PONTOS Web application, and PONTOS WebGIS.
The training sessions were complemented by presentations on assessment on the dynamics of coastline changes, the assessment on forest cover changes and their consequences on the environment, on the assessment on changes in wetland and floating vegetation cover, on the impacts of eutrophication (such as reduced biodiversity, toxic cyanobacterial blooms, increased undesirable emissions (CH4, H2S), and the loss of ecosystem services, on the chlorophyll calculation through satellite images, on the agricultural water balance, water productivity and water stress indices. Each training session was followed by a presentation of the used cases of the assessment.
The training resources are available below:
- PONTOS Data Cube Tutorial
- PONTOS Web Application Tutorial
- PONTOS WebGIS
- Assessment on Dynamics of Coastline Changes – Theory & Hands-on Experience (Part 1, Part 2, Part3)
- Presentation on Forest Cover Changes (Phenology)
- Assessment on Changes in Wetland and Floating Vegetation Cover: Theoretical background
- Integrated Assessment on Chlorophyll-a Concentration and Eutrophication Dynamics: Theoretical Background
- Chlorophyll Calculation through Satellite Images
- Agricultural Water Balance, Water Productivity and Water Stress Indices: Theoretical background